The Bull

We’re Going to Wreck!

Spencer Corabi, Contributing Reporter

Parker School debate, the school’s most valued “sport”, is looking at its potentially most successful year ever. Claiming 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 fourths in last year’s state tournament, as well as setting a school record for the number of students (5) to qualify for nationals, Parker School has a huge challenge: doing better than that. This is not an unattainable goal though; it is actually quite possible, considering that the 2017-18 debate team is the most experienced team Parker has ever had. This year, each division (Policy, Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum) has at least a couple of 4 year debaters, debaters that have been doing this for all of their high school experience. Parker School has also adopted a former 1st place Public Forum winner, Emma Laliberte, from Hilo, furthering the likelihood of our inevitable massive success. Disregarding our team’s internal advantages, that state trophy is also within  reach because a copious number of senior debaters from other schools graduated, leaving their teams substantially weaker and more pathetic. By the looks of it, it is obvious that, according to Carl Sturges, “the Parker School debate team will be a team to look out for.”

“the Parker School debate team will be a team to look out for.””

— Doc

This will not only be an exciting year for Parker debate; it will also be quite exciting for the Speech team. Last year in the state tournament, we had many finalists including Hunter Kalahiki, Parker’s first national qualifier in speech. Similar to the debate team, the speech team has a hard year to follow, but, also like debate, it is totally possible. This year, Christina Culligan, our speech coach, will sadly not be with us. Though this news is rather discouraging, it provides the speech team with more responsibility and more motivation, motivation to make Ms. Culligan proud. In the end, whether it be winning trophies or just having lots of fun, Parker School is going to have a very successful Speech and Debate season.