The Bull

Ask Abby

Dear Abby,
My dad won’t stop insisting on helping me with my math homework. When I accept his offer, he never knows how to solve the problems because it’s been “too long” since he’s been in a math class. It’s getting annoying. If I need help, I’ll ask a teacher who actually knows how to solve the problems. He gets mad at me when I tell him I don’t need his help. How do I get him to kindly back waaaaayyyyy off?
Sincerely,
Probs with Persistent Dad

Dear Probs with Persistent Dad,
Dads are so complicated sometimes, but you have to know that he’s only trying to invest himself into your school life and offering his help from the bottom of his heart. However, when he’s pushing it and doesn’t actually know what he’s doing, it’s totally ok to say ‘back off dude.’ Don’t get angry, just break it down for him and assure him you appreciate the offer but don’t need the help. You can also try prioritize getting math homework done in your study hall, at the math lab during lunch, or with your teacher in class/ after school. That way your math is done. Problem solved. Pun intended.
Sincerely,
Abby

Dear Abby,
A friend of mine causes a lot of drama with guys and I’m the one stuck with cleaning up the aftermath of her drama. What should I do to stop this?
Yours Truly,
Over It

Dear Over It,
Trying to clean up a friends drama is a pain, but trying to control this friends drama is even worse, because it’s impossible. Perhaps the choice shouldn’t be stopping the drama, but just removing yourself from it all together. That doesn’t mean to abandon your friend, however you should slowly slip out of their drama. Spend time with other friends and make drama a less important part of your life.
Sincerely,
Abby

Dear Abby,
My confidence in friendship has been shaken. How can I know how to separate out the real friends from the two faced friends? How can I know who to trust? How can I remain open and trusting when I know people might talk behind my back or say things that aren’t true? Do you forgive and forget? Or sever ties and move on?
Signed,
Hating the Drama

Dear Hating the Drama,
Friends can be difficult to understand, but sometimes the best thing you can do is just listen. Sometimes words fail to be important when other people are spreading rumors. The truth is that your friends may just need you to listen to them, understand them, and care about them. Hold tight to your confidence and know that while true friends might make mistakes, they can learn from it and become even better friends. But if this type of behavior becomes a pattern then it might be time to move on.
Sincerely,
Abby

Dear Abby,
Some days, I wake up like “hello world” and other days I want to crawl back under the covers and hide. I know this is normal teen thing, but what if I want to avoid feeling so up and down? Should I take pills or is that too extreme? Shock therapy kinda seems like overkill right? Just tell me how to deal.
Yours Truly,
Miss Moody

Dear Miss Moody,
First of all, you are right that being moody is completely normal for teenagers, so try to remember that before you worry too much. This period of life is going to be filled with trials that propel you along an emotional rollercoaster, but the true test of maturity will come with understanding that your reactions are often extreme and learning to channel that into something positive. If you really feel like your reactions are oscillating too severely to be normal, then you can definitely explore other options, but before you jump to shock therapy, consider finding an outlet like an intensive sport, art or meditation. No matter what level your emotional state is at, find a verbal outlet for your feelings like a parent, teacher, friends or psychologist.
Sincerely,
Abby

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Ask Abby”

1. Jane Doe on September 19th, 2017 9:18 am

I feel really lonely. I’m naturally introverted as well as independent, but I don’t feel like I have anyone I can talk to I can’t really talk to my parents about important things that mean a lot to me. I know they love me, but it does hurt. For the first time in my life, I feel like I need to find someone who I can trust and go to for help. I’m not really close with any other people though. What should I do? All of this makes me feel so unmotivated and it’s been detrimental towards my sleep and school performance. I just wish I could feel wanted 🙁

[Reply]

2. ??? on September 24th, 2017 8:03 pm

Dear Abby,
    I’ve been struggling at home with my dad. He gets mad and grumpy at the most trivial situations EVER. This has gone on since I was younger and it comes and goes but I hate it. It has made me feel like disappearing at times… It’s especially hard because I don’t have anyone else at home to talk to… I feel like a disappointment even though I sincerely am trying my best to satisfy his expectations… I don’t know what to do.
    Sincerely,
    Looking for hope

[Reply]

Ask Abby Reply:

Check out our next Ask Abby installment!

[Reply]

3. ??? on March 28th, 2018 1:02 pm

Dear Abby
    I feel like all the people who are friends with me are just friends because they feel bad for me.
    I also struggle with school and with making people be friends with me for real and I feel like my life is a mess and idk what to do can you please help
    From nobody

[Reply]

Ask Abby Reply:

In reply to ???.
    Dear Nobody,
    First of all life is meant to be messy for a bit, because after all the mess is the clean up and then the satisfaction of looking at the clean slate. It’s real hard work but not impossible. Now true friends are those who will put themselves into not-so-fun situations for you and stick by your side through tough times. Ride or die. As for the friends you feel are only there because they feel bad for you: kill them with kindness. Be honest, too. Just know that friendships are not built in one day, it takes time to get to know a person for who they truly are. With patience and time comes the closest friends.
    Best of Luck,
    Abby

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Ask Abby

Dear Abby

Ask Abby

• Features

Another School Shooting

• Ask Abby

Showcase

“I’m Not Black, I’m Kanye”

• Ask Abby

News

What will happen when the sun dies?

• Ask Abby

Showcase

Earthquakes Result in a Possible Eruption

• Ask Abby

Lit Arts

The Box

• Ask Abby

Showcase

Prom 2018 Photos!

• Ask Abby

Showcase

HPA Common Sense Discussion on Gun Control

• Ask Abby

Showcase

National Starbucks Shutdown

• Ask Abby

Entertainment

Sea lion on the Run

Parker School Student Voices
Ask Abby