The Bull

Don’t Wait Until The Last Minute!

Advisory Credit COMMUNITY Opportunities!

Every Parker School student knows the last-minute struggle of trying to get all eight advisory credits completed at the end of each semester. Especially when cramming for final exams, papers and projects. Our advice is to start now! So roll up your sleeves and check out the opportunities below.

Advisory credits are required at Parker School because the school values the importance of community service. And seniors tell us how building up community service hours is also a big part of college applications, so get volunteering!

Here are community volunteer events for September and October and some ongoing events that continue through December:

Waimea Nature Park- Ula La’au

When: Saturdays on October 7, October 21, November 4, November 18, December 2, and December 16 from 9 AM – 12 PM (noon).

Where: 66-1246 Mamalahoa Hwy, Waimea Nature Park.

Details: Help clean up the Nature Park, Ulu La’au! Water, gloves and tools are provided as is a snack of home made cookies and fresh fruit served at noon. For further information you can leave a message at [email protected] or at 443-4482.

Teen Tech Tutors

When: Sundays on October 1, October 22, November 5, November 19, and December 3rd from 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM.

Where: 65-1237 Kawaihae Rd, Spencer Building at St. James Episcopal Church

Details: Help local seniors (age 55+) to use technology such as cell phones, tablets, computers, and internet programs. To sign up, contact Susan Acacio, at (808) 895-2086 or [email protected]

Honoka’a Public Library Student Helper

When: (Hours will differ over school breaks) Mondays and Thursdays at 3 – 7 PM, Tuesdays and Fridays at 3 – 5 PM, and Wednesdays at 2 – 5 PM.

Where: 45-3380 Mamane St, Honoka’a Public Library.

Details: Student helpers are wanted at the Honoka’a Public Library. Ask for an application at the library if you are interested.

Ironman at Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

When: Saturday on October 14 at 6:30 AM – 4 PM (Note: If you really want to volunteer but can’t do all day, contact Mrs. Krall to set up an alternative schedule. Please note that traffic on the Ironman route is very limited!)

Deadline to RSPV: Friday, September 29. You must fill out the waiver form (get it from the front desk or download it at https://www.trackitforward.com/site/84517/event/377237) and provide your t-shirt size.

Where: 68-1400 Mauna Lani Dr, Muana Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows.

Details: This year, Mauna Lani Bay Hotel will be leading our resort aid station at the entrance to Mauna Lani Resort and are looking for volunteers. We would like to invite Upper School students, parents, and faculty to volunteer at our station on Saturday, October 14. We have a great station that provides breakfast, lunch and t-shirts for all volunteers! Great music and lots of fun!

Contact: Susan Krall, Human Resources Assistant Manager, MAUNA LANI BAY HOTEL & BUNGALOWS, Hotel: 808-885-6622 | Direct: 808-881-7074, [email protected]

Kohala Center Aloha ‘Aina Planting Day

When: Saturday on October 14 at 9 AM- 1 PM.

Where: 65-1291 Kawaihae Rd, Kohala Center.

Details: Aloha ‘Āina Day: Outplanting in the Koai‘a/Pelekāne Restoration Corridor.
Take part in ecological restoration and climate change mitigation by outplanting native plant species in targeted watershed areas. Space is limited. TO REGISTER, sign up at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kwp-volunteer-days-summer-fall-2017-tickets-36432098387.

Babysitting for Anuenue Playground Build

When: Monday, October 23 to Friday, October 27 at 3 PM – 7 PM.

Where: Anuenue Playground across from Parker School. (Parker School’s address is 65-1224 Lindsey Rd.)

Details: Help Auntie Lynn and other volunteers provide childcare for the parents who are helping to build the playground. The build is scheduled for the week of October 24-29, 2017. Please sign up to be a volunteer if you are able to help at that time.

Anuenue Playground Build

Where: Anuenue Playground across from Parker School. (Parker School’s address is 65-1224 Lindsey Rd.)

Details: Help with the construction of the new portion of the Anuenue Playground. Experience with building and construction tools is helpful.

Parker Color Stampede

When: Sunday on October 29. The race starts at 7:30 AM. The first shift of Volunteers should be at the Lower School by 6:15 AM.

Where: 65-1224 Lindsey Rd, Parker School.

Details: The 18th Annual George Henegan Fun Run benefits Parker’s Athletics Program. The deadline to register for the run is October 16th. To help volunteer for set-up, registration, monitoring stations during the race, and clean-up, please contact Mrs. Vedelli ([email protected]).