The Bull

Ask Abby

Dear Abby,

I’ve been struggling at home with my dad. He gets mad and grumpy at the most trivial situations EVER. This has gone on since I was younger and it comes and goes but I hate it. It has made me feel like disappearing at times… It’s especially hard because I don’t have anyone else at home to talk to… I feel like a disappointment even though I sincerely am trying my best to satisfy his expectations… I don’t know what to do.

Sincerely,

Looking for hope

Dear Looking for Hope,

Personally, I struggle with this every day of my life. My dad is my protector and hero, but he also doesn’t understand me a lot of the time. Irrational anger is common in fathers, especially towards their teenage kids, trust me, I know, my siblings get all of his good days and I just happen to fall on his bad ones. Just because you have no one to talk to at home doesn’t mean you have no one to talk to at all. There is always a teacher here at Parker School that you can reach out to, or even a trustworthy friend that you feel as though you can easily talk to. You should never have to feel afraid of disappointment, especially from your dad. It is also important to know that you are not the one It’s also not shameful to seek help from a family therapist. Don’t be afraid of facing him either. It never hurts to fight back sometimes.

Sincerely,

Abby

Dear Abby,

I feel really lonely. I’m naturally introverted as well as independent, but I don’t feel like I have anyone I can talk to. I can’t really talk to my parents about important things that mean a lot to me. I know they love me, but for real reasons I can’t talk to them. For the first time in my life, I feel like I need to find someone who I can trust and go to for help. I’m not really close with any other people though. What should I do? All of this makes me feel so unmotivated and it’s been detrimental towards my sleep and school performance. I just wish I could feel wanted 🙁
Signed,
Jane Doe

Dear Jane Doe,

It is incredibly hard to deal with loneliness, but know that you’re not alone. It may seem like everyone around you is happy, well put together, and joyful, however their forward persona isn’t always how they feel on the inside. Find something that you feel like you can submerge yourself into and join a club, it will start off intimidating, but once you find that everyone around you is there for the same reason, you’ll ease into comfort. It is also helpful to even embrace your loneliness. Being independent is a mature aspect that is respected and you can learn to bask in that glory. Being lonely is much different from being alone. It’s painful and truly hard to get out of, but it’s not impossible. Everyone deals with loneliness at one point in their life. We are lucky to have Mrs. Gressard as our trustworthy, motherly figure of Parker School and I highly recommend speaking to her about the matter. She not only will help you and work with you to get over this lonely epidemic, but she will encourage you to open up and find comfort in talking to others.

Sincerely,

Abby

Dear Abby,
I used to be friends with this girl, but we recently drifted apart. Now, she’s completely ignoring me and has become incredibly hostile. I still want have a friendship with her. What should I do?
Signed,
Confused

Dear Confused,
Your friend’s sudden change may have nothing to do with you. Be open and sensitive to what your friend is going through and try not to take her disconnection too personally. If you want to reconnect, attempt to plan a beach day or a movie night with her and maybe a couple other close friends. Otherwise, just tell her how you feel, but try not to blame her for anything. You never know what a person is going through unless you ask.
Sincerely,
Abby