The Bull

Take a Knee

Major league athletes protest against discrimination.

Photo by NFL used under Fair Use License.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Sophia Kaufmann

The take a knee protest started with 49ers player Colin Kaepernick. He started this as a movement against police brutality. The protest involves kneeling during the US national anthem before a game. This movement started over 13 months ago but it did not have the support it has today. His protest started by him simply sitting on the benches during the US national anthem. The movement has now come to be something of a direct resistance to Donald Trump after he weighed in on the issue.

Photo by The Wrap used under Fair Use License.

“If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!” (@realDonaldTrump Twitter; Sep 23, 2017).

Trumps uproar on the situation has caused even more players to join the protest.

Later on in the protest, Kaepernick moved to taking a knee. He’s saying he is doing so to show more respect for military veterans. The kneel soon became a more iconic and noticeable stance. Many other players decided to join Kaepernick in his protect, despite all of the criticism they received. The criticism came from football fans who believed that the men kneeling were being disrespectful to the United States.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color,” Kaepernick said in a press conference after first sitting out during the anthem. “To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street, and people getting paid leave, and getting away with murder.”

Some football teams have chose not to come out on the field at all after Trump’s comments, while other teams have allowed their players to protest at their own discretion. Trump wishes for NFL player to be fired for kneeling during the national anthem. Trump believes that the owners should be on HIS side stating: “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a b**** off the field right now, out, he’s fired. He’s fired, You know, some owner is going to do that. He’s going to say, ‘That guy that disrespects our flag, he’s fired.’ And that owner, they don’t know it [but] they’ll be the most popular person in this country.” Trump is encouraging owners to punish and fire their players for peacefully protesting something they believe in.

During a meeting of NFL owners about players who protest by kneeling during the national anthem, Bob McNair, owner of the Texans stated, “we can’t have the inmates running the prison.” The Texans had indicated there would be some type of protest following the owners comment. During the game against the Seahawks on Sunday the 29th only 10 out of the 56 active Houston Texans players stood for the national anthem, with the rest of the team kneeling. This shows how important this protest is to so many people, and that it is still current and a huge deal.

This protest has not only been widely done in the NFL, but also in other major sports such as the MLB and NBA. The protest is definitely not about being disrespectful to the flag or the United States, but rather about raising awareness of the issue of police brutality against African Americans in America.

Photo by NBA used under Fair Use License.

Photo by Yahoo Sports used under Fair Use License.