The Bull

Our Parker School in World War Two

Michaela Fromme

How well do you know our own school’s history? Students and teachers who have been going to Parker School for practically their whole lives seem to have all the stories of the younger days and what Parker School used to be. However, no one seems to even have the knowledge of what happened over 70 years ago in our very own theater. During World War II, when the Americans were fighting the Japanese, the 2nd and 5th U.S. Marine Divisions trained in our very town of Kamuela at Camp Tarawa. The school that we know today as Parker School used to be called the Barbara (Kahilu) Hall and was the main United Service Organizations (USO) for Tarawa.

We students at Parker School all have everyday struggles, such as studying for that huge history test, finishing our piles of homework, and/or trying to complete our college applications in time, but these Marines, who were only around 16-18 years old, the same ages as many of us here, had to battle with the daily thoughts that they might never see their love one’s smile again. These people not only walked through the same exact doors to the main hall as we do everyday and walked on the same floorboards of the room we know today as the library, but they sat in the very same seats at our very same Parker School theater before the Battle of Iwo Jima, not knowing if the person to their right would still be alive when the battle was over. This battle landed a victory for the U.S. when they managed to capture the island of Iwo Jima but not before over 6,800 people were killed, making this the 10th-most lethal American Battle ever. When the survivors of the Battle of Iwo Jima were informed that the Japanese surrendered and that the Second World War was finally over, they rushed into the (now) Parker School theater and gave a performance of a lifetime, pulling together all the talents they could find within their fellow marines, such as playing the harmonica, tap dancing, etc. to celebrate their new-found victory.

1 Comment

One Response to “Our Parker School in World War Two”

1. Michael Fromme on January 11th, 2018 8:27 pm

Michaela may not have known this when she wrote this article, but her grandfather – my dad – came through Camp Tarawa on his way to fight the Axis in the Solomon Islands campaign of WWII. He survived to raise me, and my brother and sister; however, he never wanted to talk about his experiences after he left our island on his terrible journey into war. He chose, instead, to focus on his survival, his growing family, including his grandchildren, of whom Mika is one. I only wish he were here today to be able to share with Parker School his brief experience at Camp Tarawa and at the Barabara (Kahilu) Hall.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

Parker Bulls Paddling Takes On States

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

Lovefest Approaching!

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

NAHS Equality Murals

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

SPIRIT WEEK!

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

Steps to Cure Your Senioritis/College Panic

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

Volleyball Senior Night!

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

Who is the Meme Queen?

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

When You Realize Quarter 1 is Almost Over?!?!

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

We’re Going to Wreck!

• Our Parker School in World War Two

Campus Beat

Spirit Week!!!

Parker School Student Voices
Our Parker School in World War Two