The Bull

Steps to Cure Your Senioritis/College Panic

Lucy Callender

It’s the last semester of high school for seniors, and the impending panic of college deadlines has set in. As a senior myself, I have observed the two primary reactions to the final high school semester. The first is utter laziness, in which the student rejects their remaining responsibility regarding high school classes, claiming that college applications deserve all of their attention. Generally, however, those who suffer from senioritis spend most of their time in a repetitive vortex of Netflix and hot Cheetos. I can attest to this because I am a self diagnosed victim of this horrible affliction. On the opposite side of the spectrum, the Panicker is hyper organized, over stressed, and spends time scream crying while filling out the FAFSA and Common App. Now, if you are like me, you are blessed with a blend of college panic and dangerous procrastination. While you spend a lot of time thinking about college, you lack the motivation to get most of it done early. This often results in freaking out because timeisalmostup and ohmygodIhaven’tdone anythingI’msupposedtodoandAuntyJoanieisgoingtokillme. Many diagnose these afflictions as incurable personality traits, but don’t fret! I have researched extensively (or, like, brainstormed a little) in the pursuit of a cure. This is what I’ve come up with.

Step 1: Take a breath. This sounds super dumb and self explanatory and you’re probably like, “Lucy please. I’ve been breathing all day.” Well, annoyed reader, I don’t mean those short hyperventilating breaths that barely keep your brain in a functioning state. Sit up, roll your shoulders back, close your eyes and breathe. Do this a couple times. Trust me, it works.

Step 2: Organize your space, you slob! My mother loves to remind me that a decluttered space= a decluttered mind. If you’re the panicky type, cleaning is a nice break from revising your essay for the hundredth time. If you have been in bed all day promising yourself that you’ll do something productive soon, start with this. Then you can move on to the the hard stuff.

Step 3: Create a list of goals for the day. It feels incredible to check something off a list when you’ve finally completed a task, no matter how small. It keeps you organized and relieves some preliminary stress.

Step 4: STOP COMPARING YOURSELF! Remember that a successful future does not require college. If your five best friends have all been accepted into a school and you’re still waiting to hear from that one gap year program, don’t freak out. Your journey is just as important as theirs, and it’s entirely what you make of it.

Step 6: Know the difference between pushing yourself and being overly critical of your flaws.

Step 5: For the love of God, get some sleep! The senior lounge is not a friendly environment when everyone is running on two hours a night and a venti iced macchiato.

Just so you know, most of this is advice I have yet to take myself, but I think this is a good place to start. So I don’t sound like a total hypocrite, I can verify that I’m practicing my deep breaths as we speak. I promise to clean my room too. Good luck, and may the best come of your college search/future endeavors!