The Bull

Volleyball Senior Night!

Last night was Parker’s traditional Senior night for their volleyball girls in a home game against Laupahoehoe. Although Parker fell short in the 5th set by 2 points, they fought very hard and had spectators on the edge of ther seats. “It was stressful but a very good game to watch” remarked teacher and senior adviser, Laura Inaba.

The celebration for their 5 seniors; Riley Herendeen, Sophia Kaufmann, Ally Thomas, Haley Spitz, and Jaysah David was emotional and memorable, despite the loss. Kirk Hubbard announced the seniors and read off blurbs they each wrote for their fellow teammates. Each senior was called to the court, their parents joined them, and they got their picture taken. Soon after the first blurb was read, the tears started to flow. Each senior received gifts and leis from their parents and teammates. Although there were tears, they were tears of joy and happiness.

This is the team’s second season with coaches Steven Kalilikane and Kauwila Garmon and their first season with assistant coach Gary Romero. The coaches are very proud of the team and how far they have come from our first practice.
Coach Garmon expressed satisfaction with how the team played last night, saying “Everyone had one goal in mind FTS (For the seniors) and I believe they did just that. We didn’t get the win but it was a battle till the end and everyone showed they had heart. To my seniors thank you for trusting in me as well as the other coaches and allowing us to instill our knowledge of volleyball in you these past two seasons. Good luck with your future endeavors, I wish you all the best and I look forward to what life has in store for all of you! Go Bulls!”

“Thank you girls for fighting so hard for us. Even though we did not win, it was still a very memorable night. Thank you to my other teammates and coaches for putting on such a beautiful ceremony for all of us. It was so sweet. I felt so loved by everyone. Definitely a night to remember.” -Sophia Kaufmann

“Senior night was very memorable to me because my teammates and coaches put in so much work to make a beautiful ceremony for the other seniors and I. It was so special to get recognized for my hard work and to know how much my teammates appreciate me as a player. It was a night to cherish especially between me and my fellow seniors because we love each other so much and are proud of how far each other has come. It was a great reflection of the years each of us has put into the sport.” – Ally Thomas

Captain Riley Herendeen leads team through tunnel from the JV girls.

Seniors pose with all of their gifts and signs from fellow teammates. (Left to right: Haley Spitz, Jaysah David, Sophia Kaufmann, Riley Herendeen, Ally Thomas.)

Senior group hug!

Seniors and Coaches Kauwila Garmon and Gary Romero.

Coaches and Seniors embrace in a group hug.

Ally Thomas, Sophia Kaufmann, and Jaysah David.

Haley Spitz and Riley Herendeen.

This banner was made by Jessica Young for the senior athletes. Thank you Ms. Young!

Thank you to everyone who came out and made the Senior Night so memorable for the seniors. They appreciate all of your support!

There are 3 more games in the season against St. Joseph on Saturday the 30th @ home at 10 am, Makua Lani @ the Kona Community Center on October 4th at 6pm, and HAAS @ Pahoa on October 6th at 6 pm. Come and support your Parker Bulls JV and Varsity during the last stretch of their awesome season!!!