The Bull

The Inevitability of Falling Down

Surviving High School Horror

Lucy Callender

Let me take you back to freshman year, my first campout. I regard this as arguably one of the worst days of my teenage life, because of an incident that I reluctantly relay to you now. We arrived on the sprawling field, and the leaders uttered my least favorite phrase, one that sealed my  fate and haunts me to this day: bonding games. If you were also an anxiety ridden tween who believed that the world was constantly watching you and only you, you understand the horror of forced bonding activities. Instantly, I broke out into a cold sweat and my brain did that annoying thing brains do when they start thinking one bad thing and it multiplies into a million bad things and suddenly you’re pretty sure you’ll die if you have to play Slippery Chicken. There was no escaping it. I simply had to face my fear of public humiliation and get over myself. What was the worst that could happen? I got in line for my first activity: passing a jug of water down an assembly line and running to fill a giant bucket with whatever water was left. It was my turn to run, and I turned with the jug in the slippery mud. Instantly, I felt my feet lose traction and my toes grabbed onto tiny pieces of grass in a fruitless attempt to regain balance. Time slowed to painful hours as I fell matrix style through space and time directly into the mud. Suddenly, everyone was staring at me. The thud of my body echoed through the lines of students and a harmonious “OHHH NOO” rang from seniors and freshman alike as they watched me try to stand back up. My face was beet red which beautifully complemented the brown dirt that streaked down my body. I collected myself and bashfully took my place in line, rejoining my team. At the time, I thought I would never recover and I would forever be The Girl Who Ate It At Campout. In reality, everyone forgot about it approximately one second after it happened. If there is a moral to this incredibly dramatic tale, it’s that nobody really cares all that much. Maybe that was the universe’s super mean way of teaching me that lesson, but eventually it works. Participate in group activities and fall down and be messy in the process. Laugh at yourself all the time, because nothing matters and you really aren’t that special.