The Bull

“I’m Not Black, I’m Kanye”

Recently, Kanye West has been trending in social media, not because of a new album or Yeezy drop but because of his newly expressed, pro-trump and ignorant racist viewpoints.

In a 105 minute interview, Kanye expresses that the 400 years of slavery was a “choice,” hinting towards the idea that it is the fault of enslaved black people for not freeing themselves sooner. He also states that black icons, specifically Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X are “just too far in the past and not relatable and that’s what makes them safe.”

Kanye West’s affection for trump was seen through his twitter, which has been recently reactivated. Check out three of his tweets in chronological order, here:

People, such as Snoop Dogg, Janelle Monae, Jordan Peele, John Legend, Samuel L. Jackson, and many others, have responded to West’s tweets in displayed disagreement and condemnation.

A previous fan of West and essayist, Coates, wrote an essay titled, “I’m Not Black, I’m Kanye.” It expresses an attack on Kanye West for his “ignorance,” which is described by Coates as, “Not merely deep, but also dangerous.” Coates switches from representing Kanye as “a god” who “made music for them, for the young and futuristic” to someone who is “a blustery ‘mouthpiece’ for the type so of theories and beliefs that play down racism in America,” (The Washington Post).

In 2015, Kanye West said racism was “dated” and a “silly concept.” During a show at San Jose, after the 2016 presidential elections, West also explained that if he had voted, it would have been for Trump.

Kanye West describes his Trump support and racism viewpoints outbursts as a right to be a “free thinker.” Whether or not West remains educated on the president’s own views on racism remains unclear, unresolved, and for now labeled at “ignorant” until they (if ever) are addressed.