The Bull

A Feast on Mars?

Jadyn Ashcraft

While there has always been speculation that humans will eventually be able to sustain life on Mars, it seems that we are now growing (quite literally) closer to that reality.

Researchers have constructed a green house in Antarctica, named EDEN ISS, that achieved its first successful harvest after the bitter polar night. Enduring temperatures under minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit, the greenhouse still provided fresh vegetables and herbs to researchers stationed at the Alfred Wegener Institute’s Neumayer Station III.

“After more than half a year of operation in Antarctica, the self-sufficient greenhouse concept appears to be effective for climatically demanding regions on Earth, as well as for future manned missions to the moon and Mars,” officials at the German Aerospace Center speculate.

With this greenhouse being completely independent from its environment, scientists had to figure out a way to mimic the living conditions Earth provides. Rather than emerged in soil, the plants receive their nutrients in a liquid form. As for sunlight, special LEDs were installed to give the same benefits. The air in the greenhouse is completely controlled, emitting a certain amount of carbon dioxide and using filters to keep the air free of mold and bacteria. Furthermore, all of this was accomplished without the use of pesticides and insecticides meaning it is environmental friendly and healthy for humans to consume.

Image result for eden iss

This success gives scientists hope that we will gain further insight as how to effectively grow produce on Mars. Once this technique is perfected, who knows what the future has in store!