The Bull

Brexit for Beginners

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brexit for Beginners

Emma Laliberte, Managing Copy Editor

If you’ve had an ear to the ground lately, you’ve likely heard the term “Brexit” thrown around. But what exactly does it mean? And how will it impact daily life? This article discusses the basics of a rather complicated issue, so that the next time you hear “Theresa May,” “Brexit,” or anything regarding the European Union, you’ll know what’s what. For those to read about the situation in greater detail, several articles will be linked at the end for your perusal.

First, the term “Brexit” comes from the combination of the word “Britain” and “exit”. This reflects the United Kingdom’s momentous decision to leave the European Union, or EU, made in 2016. The departure will officially take place on March 29, 2019. One of the most controversial decisions ever made by the nation in recent times, the issue was one that caused an outpouring of accusations of lying and intentional agitation on both sides of the debate.  In fact, an anti-Brexit member of parliament was stabbed and shot to death in the street just one week before the vote took place.

Many fears surrounding the impending Brexit largely have to do with the weakening of the UK’s economy and influence on the global stage. With Britain’s departure, the EU will likely be dealt a crippling blow as well. The divorce would most likely spell economic detriment for both the United Kingdom and for the European Union. The damage to Britain’s economy, the fifth largest in the world, could cause dramatic harm to trade both in Europe and in the rest of the world.

Ultimately, all signs point to Brexit actually occurring this upcoming year. Requests to veto or postpone the UK’s departure have been shot down repeatedly and with haste. With Britain and the rest of the western world divided, no one can afford to remain ignorant about this issue, the effects of which will certainly be felt around the globe.

More info:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/eu-referendum

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2016/02/24/a-background-guide-to-brexit-from-the-european-union