The Bull

A French Fiasco

Back to Article
Back to Article

A French Fiasco

Celeste Hardin

The people of France have been extremely upset at their president. The French are protesting at the fact that their president is not listening to their concerns or requests. Emmanuel Macron, who has never been apart of any political office other than being elected in 2017, started battling the crisis that arose about two weeks ago. Macron had been elected primarily because of his promises to the people of France of a revolution – in the economy, job market, and France’s social welfare. According to the New York Times, he has already confronted unions, rewritten labor laws and cut taxes for companies and the rich, in the name of spurring economic growth. He also is not working with mayors and other officials to resolve his economic problems.

The protests began small, but have grown significantly since then. The protesters are referred to as “Yellow Vests.” Many mayors and other elected officials are trying to reach out to Yellow Vests to tell them that Macron has little choice but to accept the project of trying to respond to the movement. The other officials have stated that Macron has nobody else to blame but himself, and Macron is also refusing to work with these officials to resolve the conflicts occurring in France. The protests of the Yellow Vests reflect a large problem in the French system.

Protests have gotten so bad that police have resorted to using tear gas in attempt to control the crowds. However, as Macron continues to avoid these problems, even the police have threatened to join the protests in becoming members of the “Blue Vest” movement. French lawmakers are said to be planning on making even more budget cuts that will downgrade working conditions, and many police will revolt if this occurs.