The Bull

Teen Vogue goes ROGUE

Anna Ottum

Anna Ottum

Jaysah David and Lucy Callender

There has been a major shift at Teen Vogue. Just a year ago the glossy mag was almost entirely filled with what the Kardashians are up to, booty hacks, and “how to” beauty tips. However, the staple teen girl poolside magazine has gone rogue! The new editor, Elaine Welteroth, has transformed Teen Vogue into a cutting edge news coverage, and frequently covering important issues better than major news outlets. Welteroth is the second African-American in Condé Nast history to hold such a righteous title. New York Times writer, Jazmine Hughes says, “the current iteration of Teen Vogue is a ‘‘revolution’’ in magazines.” Teen Vogue is finally treating its readers like the intellectual, informed, and independent young people that they are.

Teens are now reading about Black Lives Matter, Abortion, Sexism, Standing Rock, feminism, Islamaphobia, and activism. Hughes states, “Welteroth’s modest innovation is for the magazine also, in its own way, to help teach its readers how to be people in the world — how to care for others, how to defend their rights, how to see the humanity in us all.” In contrast with thousands of enthusiastic fans, many people are skeptical about the new Teen Vogue. The new strong voice behind the magazine refuses to be silenced despite facing backlash regarding controversial articles. Instead, impressive articles are continuously published without fail. It’s 2017, and it is time to raise the bar for young teens everywhere. Welteroth uses her platform to provide informative articles to a wide array of readers, making information on current events and social issues easily accessible. The young editor has innovated the way that magazines teach teenagers about their surroundings, and we hope that others will follow suit.